Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Insert the correct prepositions where necessary.
1. Sandra was ... bed. She waited ... the postman to arrive. While she lay there she was thinking ... the application she had made for the scholarship. Suddenly she got... , put... her dressing gown and went... the bathroom. While she was having a shower she heard the postman. He knocked ... the door and her mother opened it. When Sandra entered ... the breakfast room, a letter was lying ... the table.
2 I'm a member ... a group who spend weekends looking ... footpaths, building walls and planting trees. We are not paid what we do but we enjoy it very much. You don't need any previous experience but it helps if you are fond ... gardening. The most attractive thing about it is that you meet ... other people interested ... nature and preserving the countryside.
3. We were late as usual. My husband had insisted ... doing his packing ... himself, and when he discovered that he couldn't manage he'd asked me ... help ... the last moment. So we had an hour to get... the airport. Luckily, there wasn't much traffic ... the road and we were able to get there just...
4. Archeologists and historians are more and more worried ... the Italian city ... Venice, one ... the world's most important historical cities. Venice, built... the seventeenth century ... the Doges of Venice, is visited ... more than one million people ... a year. But Venice's buildings are ... danger. Their foundations are shaken... the vibrations from passing ships. Many parts ... the city are often flooded and these floods cause
damage too. Worried residents and experts ... all over the world are looking ... ways to stop the damage and preserve Venice.
5. Unexpected guests are good ... you. The phone rings, the friends you haven't seen ... ages are arriving ... a few hours, and you realize ... horror that you haven't changed the sheets
... the spare bedrooms ... months, that all the dirty dishes have been ... the sink since the weekend, and that you've been wearing the same frock ... three days.
6. Last year I went... a trip which was an absolute disaster. I was going to Berlin ... business when, ... accident, I got ... the wrong train. We were ... the way to Brussels before I realized my mistake. ... the end I got... Berlin twenty-four hours later than I had expected.
7. Last year my family went... holiday to Thailand. We went ... air; it was a very long journey but we were very well looked after ... the plane ... all the stewardesses. We stayed ... a large hotel... the outskirts of Bangkok. We were given a wonderful suite ... the top floor ... the hotel. The most enjoyable day I had was when we went... a trip ... boat, down the river to the crocodile farm. We had a wonderful holiday.
STUDY THE TYPICAL SUFFIXES WHICH FORM NOUNS FROM VERBS.
Study the following list of nouns formed from verbs which do not follow the above patterns.
advise - advice behave - behaviour believe - belief
choose - choice complain - complaint die - death
fly - flight grow - growth hate - hatred know - knowledge live - life lose - loss
practise - practice prove - proof serve - service ' speak - speech think - thought weigh - weight
Make nouns from the following verbs. Check your variants with the dictionary.
admit develop interrupt protect
advertise disappoint introduce propose
announce discover invade punish
apologize divide invent qualify
apply educate hesitate receive
appoint elect marry recognize
approve employ mix refer
arrange enter operate refuse
attend entertain pass repeat
celebrate exist perform revise
combine explain permit satisfy
continue imagine possess solve
confess imitate prefer suggest
depart improve prepare translate
describe impress produce treat
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2019-04-01; Просмотров: 318; Нарушение авторского права страницы