Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Bush denies Iran nuclear threat exaggerated
Find the details of Iran’s peaceful nuclear program.
a) What do the letters IAE and NIE stand for?
b) Comment on the cartoon above. What ideas are embodied in different parts of the drawing? Why is the cartoon titled “Mad Hatters”?
Look at the text title and complete the sentences according to their possible occurrence in the text.
There's no going back for a President …
Faced with a new US intelligence assessment…
There's a need to continue…
3 a). Form adjectives from these verbs:
3 b). Fill in the gaps with the help of expressions above:
1) The campaign’s confidence may turn out to be justified, but two weeks prior to the national convention there are more than a few ________________ signs for Obama.
2) Now, nearly 20 years later, the questions have not gone away, but have rather become more_______________ .
3) Bulletins communicate information of interest to the nation’s critical infrastructures that do not meet the timeliness, specificity, or significance thresholds of ______________ messages.
4) Whether these were intended to be lifelike or______________ , even idealistic, is unclear.
5) After 25 years of buying and _____________ a great variety of businesses, I have not learned how to solve difficult business problems.
6) _____________ monitoring is the process and technology used to detect compliance and risk issues associated with an organizations financial and operational environment.
7) With a strange ____________ of the familiar I saw also Cesar amongst them, and recognised Dominic's old, well-known, effective gesture, the horizontal sweep of his powerful arm.
4 a). Match the words
4 b). Fill in the gaps with the help of the elements or whole expressions given above:
1) A British diet expert _____________ _____ __________ that too much of the sugary snack can be bad for babies.
2) Do you think Muslims in office ______________ to the US political system?
3) "We judge with high confidence that in fall 2003, Tehran ____________its ___________ ____________ ________," reads a declassified version of the National Intelligence.
4) Solana is expected to hold talks with Larijani this week to _______________ ______________ in Iran's response to an incentive package offered by the United States
5) Given the polarizing impact of this book, I was expecting a lot of __________________ ___________________ and distorted analysis. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to find a calm and careful essay on the subject.
The Polish government on Monday tried to ________________ _____________ on the country's eastern EU border, where truckers blocked the customs demanding to let them out of the country
5.Translate the sentences:
The national intelligence estimate has taken America's friends and foes by surprise.
Object to the statements replying with the words: Quite the contrary.
1) Iran halted uranium enrichment.
2) The British government is trying to withdraw.
3) US President is backed by the international community.
7. The word holocaust / Holocaust has the following synonyms: destruction, extermination, genocide, sacrifice which of them is the synonym to Holocaust written with the capital letter?
1. Listen to the Webcast Bush denies Iran nuclear threat exaggerated and do the exercises.
Match the names with the positions.
Group these words and word combinations Iran's nuclear threat, Tehran, America's allies, Israel, Britain, France, Washington, friends, America's foes, the White House, Russia, Europe’s approach. What principle determined your grouping? Write the Key word(s) in the heading line.
C – Comprehension Test 4
B - Comprehension Test 4
1. What claims did the US President shrug off?
2. What information has new American intelligence delivered?
3. Who supports the US president?
_________of World War Threeand _____________a nuclear holocaust if Iran had nuclear weapons.
Faced with a new US____________________________, that Iran's nuclear weapons program has been____________________for four years, George W Bush prefers to call the report a "warning signal".
GEORGE W. BUSH: Iran was dangerous, Iran is dangerous and Iran will be dangerous if they have ___________ necessary ________ a nuclear weapon.
But the President's warning message is one he's repeated often, in what can be regarded as a _______________________media conference at the White House today.
GEORGE W. BUSH: I still feel strongly that Iran's a danger. _________________________in this NIE (National Intelligence Estimate) that says, "Okay, why don't we just stop worrying about it?" ____________
MANOUCHEHR MOTTAKI (translated): Now that the questions and ___________________have been___________________, if any countries have found answers to those question, no matter what their intentions were, and now want to correct their views towards Iran, we will obviously welcome that. The Iranian nuclear issue is a normal issue, like that of all countries, and Iran will continue its activities ____________________of the____________________.
KIM LANDERS: The US is clearly concerned that the intelligence report could cripple its_____________a fresh round of UN_______________against Iran.
Russia has ___________________ said it has no evidence Iran ________ nuclear weapons, so today President Bush phoned Vladimir Putin to make the case now's not the time to back off.
Israel's _____________________ Ehud Olmert says it's still vital to stop Iran from developing nuclear weapons in the future.
EHUD OLMERT: There's a need to continue ______________ to stop Iran from _____________nuclear___________________.
KIM LANDERS: Britain and Germany say the report ____________ Europe's _____________________ of trying to negotiate with Iran, while France says world powers should ______________________________a new UN resolution.
The International Atomic Energy Agency says the US report should "help ___________________the current____________________".
But President Bush warns military force is still _____________________to stop Iran from getting nuclear arms.
This is Kim Landers in Washington for AM
A – Comprehension Test 4
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-17; Просмотров: 758; Нарушение авторского права страницы