Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Geographical Position and Physical Features
I. Learn the words. Mind their usage in the sentences:
border on - граничить с
Russia borders on many countries.
native – родной
Our native country is the Russian Federation.
occupy – занимать
Our country occupies half of Europe and a third of Asia.
cover - покрывать, охватывать, покрытие
Forests cover large areas in the East and North of our country.
stretch - простираться
Russia stretches from the Baltic and Black seas in the west to the Pacific Ocean in the East.
island - остров
Island Sakhalin is very far from Moscow.
vary - меняться, варьировать, различаться
The climate in Russia varies from arctic to continental and subtropical.
II. Complete the sentences
1.Taiga /простирается/ for many hundreds of kilometers. 2. The climate varies in /различных/ parts of our country. 3. Moscow is /столица/ of our country. 4. Numerous canals /соединяют/ all the rives in the European part of Russia. 5. Southern Russia /покрыта/ with mixed forest-steppe. 6. Russia is one of the leading /держав/ in the world.
III. Fill in the blanks with the superlative degree of comparison.
1. Lake Baikal is … lake in the world. (deep).
2. The Volga is … river in Europe. (long).
3. The Russian Federation is … country in the world. (large).
4. The Ob, the Yenisei and the Lena are … rivers in Asia. (large).
5. Russia has … oil and natural gas resources. (rich).
6. The water in lake Baikal is … on earth. (pure).
THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
The Russian Federation is the largest country in the world. Its total area is about 17 million square kilometers. It occupies most of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia.
Russia is washed by twelve seas and three oceans. The oceans are: the Arctic, the Atlantic, the Pacific. The seas are: the White Sea, the Barents Sea, the Okhotsk Sea, the Black Sea, the Baltic Sea and others.
Russia borders on many countries, such as Mongolia and China in the south-east, Finland and Norway in the north-west, Estonia, Latvia, Belarus and the Ukraine in the West, Georgia and Azerbaijan in the south-west, and so on.
The federation comprises 21 republics.
The land of Russia varies very much from forests to deserts, from high mountains to deep valleys. The main mountain chains are the Urals, the Caucasus and the Altai. There are a lot of great rivers and deep lakes on its territory. The longest rivers are the Volga in Europe and the Ob, the Yenisei and the Lena in Asia. The largest lakes are Ladoga and Baikal. Baikal is the deepest lake in the world and its water is the purest on earth, its depth is of 1600 meters.
The climate in Russia varies from arctic in the north to continental in the central part of the country and subtropical in the south.
Russia is a highly-industrialized-agrarian republic. Its vast mineral resources include oil and natural gas, coal, iron, zinc, lead, nickel, aluminium, gold and other non-ferrous metals. Russia has the world’s largest oil and natural gas resources. Three-quarters of the republic’s mineral wealth is concentrated in Siberia and the Far East.
Approximately 10 million people are engaged in agriculture and they produce half of the region’s grain, meat, milk and other dairy products.
The current population of Russia is more than 150 million people. The European part of the country is densely peopled, and most population live in cities and towns and their outskirts.
The capital of the Russian Federation is Moscow, with the population of about 10 million people.
Russia is a presidential republic. It is one of the leading powers in the world.
IV. Read the text ‘The Russian Federation’ and answer the questions:
1. What territory does Russia occupy?
2. What oceans and seas is Russia washed by?
3. What countries does Russia border on?
4. What are the main mountain chains, rivers and lakes in Russia?
5. How can you characterize Russia’s climate?
6. What mineral resources does Russia possess?
7. What industries are developed in Russia?
8. What is the population in Russia?
V. Make sure you can translate the following text both ways – from English into Russian and vice versa.
VI. Say in English.
1. Россия расположена в восточной части Европы и северной части Азии.
2. Обширная территория России омывается Северным Ледовитым, Атлантическим и Тихим океанами.
3. Россия граничит с Монголией, Китаем, Финляндией и другими странами.
4. Россия располагает большим количеством месторождений полезных ископаемых.
5. Полезные ископаемые России включают нефть, газ, уголь, железо, золото и др.
VII. Speak about:
a) the geographical position of the Russian Federation;
b) the physical features of Russia;
c) the climate of Russia.
VIII. Read the text and answer the questions after it.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-16; Просмотров: 1317; Нарушение авторского права страницы