Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Give Russian equivalents to the following English ones.
to be named after; intellectual titan; keen scientific mind; enormous potential; comprehensive Knowledge; science and humanities; educated people; self-governing institution; to develop oneself as a personality; independent research work; curricular; academic instruction; to promote the ideas of freedom.
Use English equivalents instead of Russian ones.
1. Moscow University was named after (выдающийся русский ученый).
2. Alexander Pushkin described Lomonosov as a person of (большие умственные способности).
3. All the students acquired (всесторонние знания).
4. Professors (читали лекции) in Latin.
5. Moscow University is (самоуправляемое учебное заведение) of higher education
6. The main goal of Moscow University is (саморазвитие личности).
7. Curricula of faculties are based on combination of (основательные теоретические знания) with special skills.
8. The results of research are presented at the meetings of (студенческие научные общества).
9. The results of each student’s (самостоятельная исследовательская работа) are submitted in the form of final paper.
10. All the history of the University is connected with the outstanding role of its (бывшие питомцы).
Answer the following questions.
1. What is one of the oldest Russian institutions of higher education?
2. When was Moscow University founded?
3. Who contributed to the establishment of the university in Moscow?
4. Why was Moscow chosen to be the home of the first Russian University?
5. In what language were lectures delivered?
6. What faculty was considered to be preparatory and obligatory?
7. What role did Moscow University play in popularizing science and learning in Russia?
8. What are the main principles in the life of Moscow University?
9. What are University curricula based on?
10. How is students’ work organized today?
Choose the right variants.
1. Moscow University was … in 1755.
a) burned; b) established; c) destroyed.
2. First all the students acquired a comprehensive Knowledge at the faculty of ….
a) Law; b) Theology; c) Philosophy.
3. Moscow University made the lectures of its professors … to the public.
a) close; b) open; c) boring.
4. Professors of Moscow University … to the establishment of new cultural centers in Moscow.
a) condemned; b) were forced c) contributed.
5. The lectures were delivered in….
a) Russian; b) Latin; c) Russian or Latin.
6. Moscow state University is a centre of ….
a) research; b) entertainment; c) industry.
7. Students choose an area to specialize in the … of studies.
a) third year; b) second year; c) first year.
8. Professors instructors and staff make decisions ….
a) independently; b) collectively; c) originally.
9. Students choose a field for their … research work.
a) group; b) international; c) independent.
10. Final paper is presented by the student at the meeting of the ….
a) department; b) faculty; c) university.
Find the wrong statements and correct them.
1. Moscow University was named after the great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin.
2. It was Shuvalov who suggested the idea of establishing a university in Moscow.
3. According to Lomonosov’s plan, there were originally four faculties.
4. There were no special theological educational establishments in Russia.
5. The first printing house and a bookshop were opened in University campus.
6. One of the first literary periodicals printed at the University printing house was Moscovskie Vedomosty.
7. The first scientific societies disunite naturalists, historians and philologists in Russia.
8. Moscow University is educational, scientific and cultural centre of Russia.
9. Moscow State University comprises 92 faculties and over 350 departments.
10. University alumni promote the ideas of freedom, common good, humanity and truth.
Translate from Russian into English.
1. Московский государственный университет имени Ломоносова был основан в 1755 году.
2. Он был назван в честь выдающегося русского ученого Михаила Васильевича Ломоносова, который содействовал основанию университета.
3. М.В.Ломоносов был человеком с огромной силой воли и большими умственными способностями.
4. Первоначально в университете было три факультета.
5. Сначала все студенты приобретали всесторонние знания в области естественных и гуманитарных наук на философском факультете.
6. Много выдающихся людей учились и работали в Московском университете. Среди них: философы И.Н. Поповский, Д.С. Аничков; архитекторы В.И. Баженов, И.Е. Старов; биологи И.М. Сеченов, К.А. Тимирязев и др.
7. Президент Российской Федерации издал указ о учреждении Московскому университету статуса самоуправляемого учебного заведения высшего образования.
8. Московский государственный университет включает 29 факультетов и более 350 отделений, 15 научно-исследовательских институтов и 4 музея.
9. Учебные планы всех факультетов университета основаны на сочетании академического обучения с научно исследовательской работы студентов.
10. В конце обучения студент представляет на рассмотрение дипломную работу, которая является результатом его самостоятельной научно-исследовательской работы.
Speak on the topic: “Moscow State Lomonosov University”.
UNIT 9. ORYEL STATE UNIVERSITY
Practice the pronunciation of the following words.
youth, faculty, laboratory, various, experiments, well-equipped, gym, sociology, chemistry, autumn term, scientific, societies, circle, biology, literature, in advance, rather, difficult.
State apart of speech of the following words.
Intellectual, achievement, progressive, journalist, development, realize, philosopher, academic, recreational, regularly.
3. Give 3 forms of the verbs.
to situate, to complete, to get, to make, to hold, to take, to begin, to give, to aim, to promote.
Read and translate the text A.
ORYEL STATE UNIVERSITY
Oryel State University is a center of culture and science. It is the major higher educational establishment in the Oryel region. Our University was founded in 1931. The old building of the Institute was situated in Moskovkaya Street. In 1956 the new building was completed. There are many faculties and a great number of chairs which help every student to get ready for his study and future work. There are many laboratories where all the students make various experiments and carry out research work. The laboratories are well-equipped. We also have a good library, a reading hall, an assembly hall, workshops, studies and a well-equipped gym at our disposal. The youth from all corners of out great country study at the faculties of our University. Those students who come from different villages and towns live in the hostels.
Teachers and professors deliver lectures and hold seminars on different subjects such as: physics, mathematics, chemistry, literature, biology, history, sociology and many others. All the students study foreign languages. Student’s independent work is given much attention to. Our University trains teachers for primary and secondary schools, specialists in preschool education, journalists, philosophers, doctors. The academic year begins, as a rule, on the first of September and ends in June. It lasts ten months. The academic year has two terms: the autumn term and the spring term. At the end of each term the students take examinations and credits tests. To pass the exams and credits tests successfully students have to work hard during the academic year. You may fail at the examinations if you miss classes and do not study regularly. You must take examinations and credits in time. Sometimes students are allowed to take exams and credits tests in advance. After the examinations they have summer and winter holidays. To enter our University you have to take interview or entrance examinations which are rather difficult. Students study at day-time, evening departments and by correspondence.
The students of University take an active part in social life. There are students’ scientific societies and different circles which help students to master their knowledge. The students of University can do any sport and any recreational activity.
Every year hundreds of young specialists begin working in different branches of national economy, science, education, in mass media, prosecutor’s offices and courts. The staff is proud of the University traditions and achievements but at the same time it realizes the necessity of serious reforms aimed at preserving the accumulated intellectual potential and promoting progressive development of the Oryel State University in future.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-04-10; Просмотров: 1409; Нарушение авторского права страницы