Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
New South Wales Crime Commission cop on drugs charge
Discuss the following.
a) Do you think that drug related crime is difficult to eradicate? Why? Why do police officers often get involved into drug related crimes? 3 What was the last drug related crime reported on TV? Where did it take place?
Why does it aggravate a drug related crime when police is involved?
b) What is the main idea of the scene depicted by the cartoonist? How does it interweave with the title of this news report?
Look at the text title and complete the sentences according to their possible occurrence in the text.
It's one of the most serious allegations of criminal corruption….
AFP officers shut off computers and…..
This is a senior police officer who was….
It's about time….
3 a). Form abstract nouns from these verbs
3 b). Fill in the gaps with the help of expressions above:
4 a). Match the words
4 b). Fill in the gaps with the help of the elements or whole expressions given above.
1) On January 21, police authorities in Peru arrested nine targets of an international ________________
2) Indonesian police have been hunting _______________________________of illegal logging operating in the country, Forestry Minister Malam Sambat Kaban said Tuesday.
3) The authorities ____________________________________to avoid clamour when gathering information on that complicated case.
4) Organized _________________runs wide and deep in Nova Scotia government which has business 'associates' doing business illegally.
5) Police in Southwest China's Yunnan Province, which borders Myanmar, have recently co-operated with the Myanmar Government to ________________________from an 18-member drug-trafficking gang, Xinhua News Agency reported yesterday.
Arrange these words in the right order. Do not add any prepositions.
1) Lawyers Defence Association Criminal
2) Central Sydney's Court Local
3) ABC Veteran journalist Four Corners
4) Law Australian community enforcement
5) Crime New Wales Commission South
6) top police Australia's investigators
Listen to the Webcast New South Wales Crime Commission cop on drugs charge and do the exercises.
2. What do these words combinations have in common: an elite unit, a key player, the top police investigator?
Listen and decide “who is who”?
C – Comprehension Test 1
B – Comprehension Test 2
1) Who was arrested and what was the man accused of?
2) Why is this allegation considered to be the most serious one?
3) What was Mark Standen’s job in the elite crime fighting agency?
Michael Edwards has this report.
MICHAEL EDWARDS: Within the Australian _____________________community - the New South Wales Crime Commission is regarded as an ___________________ and 51-year-old Mark Standen is viewed as one of it best criminal investigators.
Among his achievements are spearheading the Crime Commission's investigation into a ________________smuggling __________ involving Sydney drug lord Michael Hurley.
But yesterday it must have seemed as though his world had turned upside-down when the Australian Federal Police ___________________the Crime Commission's offices in Sydney.
AFP officers shut off computers and locked the building down - they then arrested Mark Standen for his alleged involvement in a major _____________________________________plot.
Veteran ABC Four Corners journalist, Chris Masters, says Mark Standen has a reputation as a ________________________investigator.
CHRIS MASTERS: Even though this is not somebody who is well known across Australia, within policing ___________________he is very well known.
MICHAEL EDWARDS: Mark Standen's career began 30 years ago policing___________________.
He then joined the Australian Federal Police before _________________by the New South Wales Crime Commission a decade ago.
Chris Masters says Mark Standen's arrest has sent __________________through the highest echelons of Australian policing.
CHRIS MASTERS: This is a _____________police _______________who was seen to be extremely effective. The NSW Crime Commission are pretty much the elite crime fighting agency in New South Wales and one I have to say, I know it is ___________________but one that I have had a lot of respect for over the last decade or so. They do a lot.
MICHAEL EDWARDS: Last night, the AFP charged Mark Standen and a 45-year-old man with offences related to _____________________to import a ____________________________precursor chemical for the drug 'ice'.
Both are set to appear Sydney's Central _____________________________this morning.
The AFP has also confirmed it raided properties in the Sydney __________________of Campbelltown, Alexandria, Blacktown and St Helen's Park as well as properties on the New South Wales south and central________________.
It's alleged Mr Standen was working with a criminal syndicate based in the Netherlands and _________________________Asia.
Mark Standen's arrest ____________________to have wider ___________________________for the New South Wales Crime Commission.
The Commission has special ____________________________which include the right to ___________________witnesses to testify and the ability to conduct __________________
Phillip Boulten SC is President of the Criminal Defence Lawyer's Association.
He says there is growing ____________________among lawyers that the Commission is overstepping its mark.
Mr Boulten says ____________________the commission was held to account.
PHILLIP BOULTEN: I am suggesting either that ____________________a Royal Commission into the operation of the New South Wales Crime Commission or that a judicial officer _____________full power to review its operations so as to report back to the Parliament of New South Wales about whether or not the Crime Commission is indeed_______________________________________.
TONY EASTLEY: The President of the Criminal Defence Lawyers Association, Phillip Boulten ending Michael Edwards' report.
A – Comprehension Test 2
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-17; Просмотров: 795; Нарушение авторского права страницы