Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Ex.1. Read the text and make a comparison with your country’s holidays.
Ex.2. Make up questions to which the following sentences might be the answers.
1. People in Moslem societies, for example, celebrate the New Year by wearing new clothes.
2. Jewish people consider the day holy, and hold a religious ceremony at a meal with special foods.
3. Japanese prepare rice cakes at a social event the week before the New Year.
4. Valentine, a Christian priest, had been thrown in prison for his teachings.
5. Young men randomly chose the name of a young girl to escort to the festivities.
6. Americans of all ages love to send and receive valentines.
7. On February 14, the teacher opens the box and distributes the valentines to each student.
8. The message is printed in a special section of the newspaper on February 14.
Ex.3. Suggest the Russian equivalents.
throughout history, according to customs, by wearing new clothes, to hold a religious ceremony, to expect a new life, to promise ourselves to do better, everyone believe in the Roman gods, he had performed a miracle, secretly married couples, a lot of thought, in a large decorated box, similar to a mailbox, an acquaintance or even a spouse.
Ex.4. Replace the words in brackets with the corresponding words from the texts.
1. (Начало нового года) has been welcomed on different dates throughout history.
2. Southeast Asians (освобождают птиц) and turtles to assure themselves (удачи) in the twelve months ahead.
3. We wish each other good luck and (обещаем себе сделать все лучшее) in the following year.
4. He (предположительно он лечил) the jailer's daughter of her blindness.
5. Another Valentine was an Italian (епископ) who lived at about the same time.
6. The custom of choosing a sweetheart on this date (распространилось) through Europe in the Middle Ages.
7. If the sender is (застенчив), valentines can be anonymous.
8. Anyone can send in a message, for a small fee of course, (предназначенный) for a would-be sweetheart, a good friend, an (знакомой) or even a (супруге) of fifty years.
Grammar: Direct and Indirect Speech
• Indirect General Questions
The Inversion in the direct question changes to statement word order.
We use if / whether (ли) after ask, want to know, wonder, not know, didn’t say / tell me. Note: to ask smb; to ask a question
Ann’s mother asked her, “Areyou tired?” Ann’s mother asked her ifshe was tired.
He asked his friend, ”Do you like the wine?” He asked his friend if he liked the wine.
• Indirect Special Questions.
An indirect special question is introduced by the same adverb or pronoun that introduces the direct question.
Peter asked, ”Who has taken my book?” Peter asked who had taken his book.
I asked the gardener, “What are you planting here this year
Ex. 5. Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech.
1. The teacher asked Tom: “Do you come to school by bus or on foot?” 2. A man stopped me in the street and asked: “Have you got a watch?” 3. The teacher asked us: “ Do you understand the question?”4. Henry’s father asked his son: “ Do you want to be an engineer or a doctor?” 5. I asked my friend: "How do you feel after your holiday?" 6. "Alex is an educated man", remarks Flora. 7. "John never seems low or depressed", says Jane. 8. Jack's father asked him: "Who are you writing a letter to?" 9. "Jack is on the terrace. He is playing chess with his brother" , says Nelly. 10. I saw a cloud of smoke and asked: "What is burning?.” 11. I asked Peter: “Are you going to play football on Friday?” 12. He asked his secretary: “Hasn’t the postman been yet? ” 13. The teacher asked Tom, "Do you come to school by bus or on foot?". 14. A man stopped me in the street and asked, "Have you got a watch?". 15. The teacher asked us, "Do you understand the question?".
Ex.6. Change the following sentences into Indirect Speech.
1. The teacher asked: "Which number can be divided by three?" 2. Peter asked me: "When are you going to have dinner?” 3. The policeman asked me: "Where did you lose your wallet?" 4. The teacher came into the classroom and asked the pupils: "What are you doing?” 5. I asked Bob: "Why did not you answer my letter?” 6. There was a crowd in the street. I asked the man in the crowd: "What is the matter?” 7. Mother asked Jane: "What are you doing here?". 8. Margaret asked Richard: "Where are you going for your holidays?". 9. Ann asked Mary: "What do you usually have for breakfast?". 10. The inspector asked: "Who caused the accident?". 11. The teacher asked: "When did you learn to swim?'. 12. Mary's mother asked her: "Where have you put your shoes?"
Ex.7. Translate the sentence from Russian into English.
1. Я спросила у нее, где ей сшили пальто. 2. Я спросила у него, какие еще французкие книги он прочитал за последнее время. 3. Друзья спросили его, куда он ездил в прошлое воскресение. 4. Родители спросили нас, что мы собираемся делать лето. 5. Мы спросили преподавателя, как мы сдали экзамены. 6. Я спросил его, когда он собирается закончить эту работу. 7. Гид спросил туристов не устали ли они. 8. Яспросила своих гостей хорошо ли они спали. 9. Он поинтересовался часто ли мы ходим в театр. 10. Он хотел узнать долго ли у нас работает мистер Долби. 11. Они спросили меня, когда начинается мой рабочий день. 12. Он спросил, какую музыку любят мои друзья. 13. Мы спросили его, кто из его друзей знают два иностранных языка. 14. Журналисты спросили писателя, над какой книгой он работает. 15. Она спросила меня, где я был вчера. 16. Они спросили моего друга, как он провел летние каникулы.
Ex. 8. Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note the change of pronouns and tenses.
1. "What's the time?" he asked.
→ He wanted to know ……….
2. "When will we meet again?" she asked me.
→ She asked me ……….
→ She asked him …………..
4."Where did they live?" he asked.
→ He wanted to know ………..
5. "Will you be at the party?" he asked her.
→ He asked her …………
1. "Can you meet me at the station?" she asked me.
→ She asked me …….
7. "Who knows the answer?" the teacher asked.
→ The teacher wanted to know ……
8. "Why don't you help me?" she asked him.
→ She wanted to know………..
9. "Did you see that car?" he asked me.
→ He asked me ……..
Ex. 9. Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note whether the sentence is a request, a statement or a question and whether you have to change the tenses or not.
1."I was very tired," she said. → She said …….
2."Be careful, Ben," she said. → She told Ben ……….
3."I will get myself a drink," she says. → She says ………..
4."Why haven't you phoned me?" he asked me. → He wondered ……….
5."I cannot drive them home," he said. → He said ………
6."Peter, do you prefer tea or coffee?" she says. → She asks Peter ………..
7."Where did you spend your holidays last year?" she asked me.
8. He said, "Don't go too far." → He advised her ……..
9."Have you been shopping?" he asked us. → He wanted to know ………….
10. "Don't make so much noise," he says. → He asks us ……..
Ex. 10. Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note the change of pronouns in some sentences.
1. She said, "Go upstairs." → She told me ……..
2. "Close the door behind you," he told me. → He told me ………..
3. "Don't be late," he advised us. → He advised us …………
4. "Stop staring at me," she said. → She told him …………
5. "Don't be angry with me," he said. → He asked her ……………
6. "Leave me alone," she said. → She told me …………..
7. "Don't drink and drive," she warned us. → She warned us …………
8. "John, stop smoking," she said. → She told John ………..
9. "Don't worry about us," they said. → They told her …………
10. "Meet me at the cinema." he said. → He asked me …………….
Ex. 11. Imagine you want to repeat sentences that you heard two weeks ago in another place. Rewrite the sentences in reported speech. Change pronouns and expressions of time and place where necessary.
1. They said, "This is our book." → They said …………..
2. She said, "I went to the cinema yesterday." → She said ……………
3. He said, "I am writing a test tomorrow." → He said …………
4. You said, "I will do this for him." → You said …………
5. She said, "I am not hungry now." → She said …………..
6. They said, "We have never been here before." → They said …………
7. They said, "We were in London last week." → They said …………
8. He said, "I will have finished this paper by tomorrow."
9. He said, "They won't sleep." → He said …………
10.She said, "It is very quiet here." → She said ………….
Задания на СРО:
Do grammar ex. 293-296 on p.65 (Голицынский Ю.Б. Грамматика английского языка. Санкт Петербург, 2003)
Theme: Getting a job
Grammar: Grammar revision
Objectives: By the end of this unit, students should be able to use active vocabulary of this theme in different forms of speech exercises.
Students should be better at speaking about getting a job.
Students should revise the previous grammar material.
Methodical instructions: This theme must be worked out during three lessons a week according to timetable.
Lexical material: Introduce and fix new vocabulary on theme “Getting a job”. Discuss in groups how to get a good job. Speak about the most important personalities of employee.
Grammar: Revise the previous grammar material.
The first piece of information a company will receive about you is the resume. It should be presented at the beginning of any interview that you have with a company. Ideally, resume should not be longer than one page. The contents of a resume can be roughly categorized as: 1.Personal information (address, telephone number) 2. Job objective 3. Education 4. Experience 5. Skills 6. Extracurricular activities 7. References. The resume should also be perfect in grammar and appearance. The best resume is concise, while exceptional or unique. The objective, like the application or inquiry letter, is to attract attention and elicit a positive response.
The resume begins with personal information, name, address, telephone number centered at the top page.
The work history begins with the most recent job and work period (beginning and ending dates) and proceeds to the first or earlier jobs held. Positive attributes must be incorporated in every description of prior work experiences.
The reason for stating the type of firms where you’ve worked is to show prospective employers that you’re familiar with the industry. In fact, many job listings say something like this: “Experience in finance (or real estate, or law, etc. preferred.)”
The education history is also reported in reverse chronological order, with the most recent listed first.
For references, it’s permissible to merely state: “ References available upon request.” Don’t list references , however, unless you’ve first contacted the people you want to speak on your behalf. Get their permission to use their names. When making personal contacts, be ready to share with these people the top attributes that describe you in a positive way. Ask your references if they agree and, if so, will they please mention these attributes in their letters of reference.
Ex.1.Find in the text Russian equivalents to the following:
Первая информация; рекомендация, справка; информация о себе; занять должность; деятельность; высокооплачиваемая работа; произвести благоприятное впечатление; сжатый, краткий; в обратном хронологическом порядке; последнее место работы; заявление; описание образования, работы и опыта выполненное для поступления на работу; содержание; выявлять, извлекать; свойство, признак; соединять просто; разрешение, позволение; в интересах кого-либо; от имени кого-либо;
Ex.2.Suggest the Russian for:
The first piece of information; at the beginning of any interview; the content; roughly; job objective; experience; concise; an inquiry letter, to attract attention; response; to proceeds; to incorporate; in reverse chronological order; it’s permissible; merely; available; on behalf of; permission; to mention; . resume; activity; application; to elicit; merely
Ex.3.Translate the sentences:
1.Чтобы получить интервью с представителем компании, вы должны разослать ваше резюме и заявление в разные компании и агенства. 2. Резюме должно быть правильно составлено, т.к. это первая информация, которую компания получает о вас. 3. Неправильно составленное резюме – это потерянная возможность получить работу. 4. Вы должны указать точные даты, должности и места работы. 5. Резюме не должно быть длинным, не более одной машинописной страницы. 6. Необходимо перечислить все места вашей учебы в обратном хронологическом порядке. 7. Укажите последнее место работы и следуйте в обратном порядке. 8. Конечно, резюме не представит вам работу, но оно поможет вам быть приглашенным на интервью. 9. Резюме посылается с письмом к работодателю.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-07-12; Просмотров: 977; Нарушение авторского права страницы