Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Topic vocabulary in contrast
A Circle the correct word.
1. The charity / union I'm a member of is calling for a nationwide strike next week.
2. It's company/firm/business policy not to allow the use of phones for personal calls during working hours.
3. The recent raise / rise in the cost of petrol has affected loads of small businesses round here.
4. In some professions, you have to retire / resign when you're 60 or 65 years old.
5. My grandfather gets a pension / promotion from the company he used to work for.
6. Not only did we all have to work overtime / promotion this weekend, but we didn't get paid for it!
7. Have you had any news about that work / job / career you applied for yet?
8. The starting salary / wage is ?20 000 per year.
9. You'll get a weekly pay / wage of about ?300 before deductions.
10. She became a full-time member of employees / staff / employers last year.
В Complete using the correct form of the words in the box.
commute • deliver • earn • gain • make • sack • win
1. No sooner had Denzil won the lottery than he decided to quit his job.
2. How long does it take you to …….. to work every day?
3. How much does a state school teacher …….. each year?
4. Over a hundred workers were …….. redundant when the factory closed.
5. Our next-door neighbour was …….. for stealing company property.
6. Does your local supermarket …….. ?
7. Rarely have I …….. so much valuable experience in such a short space of time.
С Write one word in each gap.
IT JUST TAKES HARD WORK AND COMMITMENT
Entrepreneur Jane Dickson describes how she got started
I was working as an IT Manager for a small publishing company (in fact, I was standing (1) in for the actual manager while she was away on maternity leave) when the company was taken (2) …….. by a large multinational media organisation. It was in the depths of the recession, and initially our new owners promised to see our small company (3) …….. the hard times. Things got worse, though, and they finally backed (4) …….. of their agreement. Our company closed (5) …….. We were all made redundant – it was horrible!
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next. I (6) …….. down several offers of work as I didn't want to rush into anything. Then, one day, I woke up and thought: 'I’m going to set (7) …….. my own business!'
At first it was tough. I had to (8) …….. to everything myself – I was the only employee! – but I set (9) …….. it with dedication and refused to give up, whatever happened. Over the last five years, as the company's grown, I've taken (10) ……… more and more staff. Dickson's now employs over five hundred people! I set (11) …….. to be successful, and I've managed it. I feel very lucky, although, to be honest, luck has nothing to do with it. It just takes hard work and commitment. I don't feel satisfied yet, though. We're bringing (12) …….. new products all the time, and I want to continue doing that. I also want to speed (13) …….. our production process to make it more efficient. I'm not planning to slow (14) …….. any time soon!
Phrases and collocations
D Match to make sentences.
1. I put a lot of effort D A. on hold for ages.
2. They've made their decision В. about who's going to get promoted.
3. It's not in your interest to С. of work for over two months now.
4. The secretary's kept me D. into writing this report.
5. I don't know why you didn't apply E. business long.
6. 1 think we're all in agreement F. in your work.
7. Dean's been out G. for that position.
8. The shop hasn't been in H. accept a pay cut.
9. I'm glad you're finally taking an interest I. work, doesn't he?
10. Jason lives fairly near his place of J. on this, aren't we?
E Write one word in each gap.
1. Maybe you should write a letter of complaint to the manager.
2. When was the last time you had a …….. off?
3. Hardly had the police officer come …….. duty when he had to respond to an emergency.
4. My dad's …….. work at the moment, I'm afraid. Can you call back later?
5. I am available to …….. an interview at your convenience.
6. He's been …….. this job for over thirty years.
7. Our company …….. a lot of business with Altech Industries.
8. Sol's made an arrangement …..… the wholesalers to deliver more frequently in future.
9. June's got several years' experience …….. dealing with young children.
F Choose the correct answer.
1. Who is responsible …….. dealing with complaints?
A with В for С in D at
2. We began …….. looking round for advertising agencies which had experience of our market.
A to В with С by D at
3. The covering letter wasn't attached …….. the CV.
A to В with С from D by
4. Don't you think you should apply for the job …….. writing?
A with В for С at D in
5. I was only absent …….. the office for a few minutes!
A for В from С in D about
6. Success in this industry depends a lot …….. luck!
A with В from С at D on
G Cross out the incorrect word in each sentence and write the correct word on the line.
1. Sadie's quite good in typing. at .
2. Jimmy qualified at a doctor a couple of years ago. ……..
3. You need to be good at languages to work in an interpreter. ……..
4. It'll be good that Rudy to get some work experience this summer. ……..
5. You've got to be experienced from dealing with difficult authors if you want to be an editor. ……..
6. We specialise for manufacturing tiles for the building industry. ……..
7. After qualifying as veterinary medicine, she decided to move to Yorkshire. ……..
8. I'd love to work as advertising. ……..
9. Joanne is training for become a trapeze artist at the moment! ……..
H Complete the sentences by changing the form of the word in capitals when this is necessary.
1. All the heavy machinery (MACHINE) in the factory has been manufactured on site.
2. Al is a manager at the local water …….. (WORK).
3. An …….. (INDUSTRY) dispute is threatening to delay production of the new car.
4. We work under close …….. (SUPERVISE), so there's not much opportunity for initiative.
5. Farm …….. (WORK) in Belgium have accepted a 5% pay increase.
6. There'll be an …….. (ADD) charge of ?30 for delivery.
7. Supersonic planes have never been a …….. (COMMERCE) success.
8. We couldn't have built this new train without the …….. (DEDICATE) and expertise of the entire workforce.
9. The plan is completely …….. (WORK). Let's just forget it!
I Complete the text by changing the form of the word in brackets.
Although a certain percentage of graduates will still be (1) unemployed (employ) six months after leaving university, the majority will have found (2) …….. (employ) by then. Many of these will even have been offered a job while at university, as a result of visiting a job fair. Job fairs are held at many universities each year. Companies come along to advertise jobs, which are usually in (3) …….. (manage), and the career structures and benefit packages that go with them. Job fairs are an (4) …….. (effect) way for undergraduates to find out what kind of job they might be interested in.
If you go to a job fair, dress (5) …….. (profession). Don't wear jeans and a T-shirt. Wear a suit! You don't want to look (6) …….. (responsible) when you have your first (7) …….. (meet) with your potential (8) …….. (employ). If you're interested in a job on offer, you may have to fill out an (9) …….. (apply) form, so it's (10) …….. (help) to take along relevant information with you. You'll also need proof of all your (11) …….. (qualify), so don't forget to take photocopies of all your certificates with you.
Units 27 and 28 Review 14
A Write one word in each gap.
I would like to (1) …….. a complaint about an article that appeared in your newspaper last week. In the article, entitled ''Why they are (2) …….. of work'', the writer suggested that the unemployed were responsible (3) …….. their own situation. If the writer had (4) …….. their job properly and (5) …….. a little effort to speak to local unemployed people, they might have realised that this is not the case.
Let me begin (6) …….. saying that most unemployed people want to work. They apply (7) …….. jobs and (8) a great deal of effort into changing their situation.
The truth is that local businesses are simply not taking (9) …….. new staff. The government is to blame for the way in which economic growth has (10) …….. down, making life difficult for many businesses. I look forward to reading a more balanced article in the future.
(1 mark per answer)
В Complete the sentences by changing the form of the word in capitals when this is necessary.
11. Dave left the office keys in a pub and he was sacked for being so …….. (RESPONSIBLE).
12. ''Leave it to me. I'll find a solution,'' the manager said, …….. (HELP).
13. All …….. (APPLY) are asked to send their СV to Mrs Simpson in the Personnel Department.
14. My job is to …….. (SUPERVISE) the telesales workers.
15. Carol has worked for us for over twenty years with great loyalty and …….. (DEDICATE).
16. All our …….. (EMPLOY) receive four weeks paid holiday per year.
17. The managing director didn't think the suggestion would ever be …….. (WORK), so we had to think of another solution.
18. It seems that Mr Jones lied about his …….. (QUALIFY) on his application form.
(1 mark per answer)
С Complete the second sentence using the word given, so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence. Write between two and five words.
19. Yuri qualified and then immediately found a really good job. than
No …….. he found a really good job.
20. Women don't often get promoted in some industries. do
Rarely …….. in some industries.
21. I never realised that Tony was the head of Fizzyco. realise
Little …….. that Tony was the head of Fizzyco.
22. I didn't know about the meeting until Tracy rang. did
Not until …….. about the meeting.
23. I think you will benefit from getting a new job. good
I hink it will be …….. a new job.
24. The two companies finally agreed the deal. reached
The two companies finally …….. the deal.
25. Customers of the bank are never allowed into the basement area. circumstances
Under …….. customers of the bank allowed into the basement area.
26. I didn't think of a good answer to the interviewer's question until later. did
Only …….. a good answer to the interviewer's question.
27. It was such a boring job that no one wanted to do it. was
Such ……that no one wanted to do it.
(2 marks per answer)
D Match to make sentences.
28. Ironworks Limited has closed … A. in for him while he went into town.
29. Henry asked Janet to stand … В. out a new flavour of iс ream next month.
30. Mr Carter asked me to see С. over Cookright and plan to close some branches.
31. I heard that Bigburger have taken D. down and 400 people have lost their jobs.
32. Roger says he never set E. up a business selling my own jewellery.
33. Apparently, Fatfoods are bringing F. to the orders while he spoke to a customer.
34. I’m thinking of setting G. out to become a millionaire- it just happened!
(1 mark per answer)
E Choose the correct answer.
35. The …….. for this position starts at thirty thousand euros per year.
A wage В payment С salary D tip
36. After working аt the same factory for thirty years, my grandfather was looking forwrd to his ……..
A overtime B pension С charity D allowance
37. Some people …….. to London every day from as far away as Leeds.
A connect В commute С correspond D commence
38. Most governments tax people on the amount they …….. each year.
A win B gain С earn D benefit
39. Selley disagreed with the board's decision and so she …... and went to work for another company.
A retired В fired С sacked D resigned
40. When the factory closed, over a hundred of people were …….. redundant.
A done В taken С given D made
41. Here at Weatherby’s we provide all our …….. members, from senior management down, with regular training.
A staff В crew C crowd D firm
(1 mark per answer)
Total mark: ……/ 50
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2019-04-09; Просмотров: 127; Нарушение авторского права страницы