Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Topic vocabulary in contrast
A Choose the correct answer.
1. Everyone said they had … themselves at the wedding.
A enjoyed С pleased
В impressed D excited
2. Mary seems to go out with a different … of friends almost every night.
A group С company
В band D collection
3. People can become very … when they are stuck in traffic for a long time.
A nervous С stressful
В bad-tempered D pressed
4. More and more people are living into … age and it's a serious social problem.
A high С far
В ancient D old
5. Stephanie seems to be very … with her classmates.
A likeable С known
В famous D popular
6. Most … people have no idea what it's like to be famous.
A usual С typical
В ordinary D medium
7. When my parents got divorced, my best friend was very … and listened to all my problems.
A likeable С sympathetic
В amusing D enjoyable
8. Rita's very … and easily gets upset when people criticise her.
A level-headed С sensible
В sensitive D open-minded
9. Police were called in when the … of people began to get violent.
A crowd С audience
В company D herd
10. My dad says he once met Robbie Williams when he was still … .
A unknown С infamous
В hidden D unrelated
ВCircle the correct word.
1. These days, many parents find it difficult to assist / support a large family.
2. Forgetting to thank us for dinner is usual / typical of George.
3. My grandma doesn't have any close / near family her own age left.
4. In ancient / old times, people had a very different view of the world.
5. Who was to blame / fault for the argument?
6. Don't you know it's kind / polite to close your mouth when you are eating?
7. Nathan's parents were very enjoyed / pleased when they saw him in the school play.
8. I have a very good connection / relationship with my mother.
С Complete using the words from the box. You need to use one word twice.
get • make • put • look • bring • fall • grow
Some of us seem to be infinitely kind, while others seem to (1) ........ down on everyonearound them. Some of us never forget an argument, while others (2) …….. up and forgiveeasily. As we (3) ....... up, our personality develops and we find that we (4) ........ on with certain people more than others. Who we are seems to have a large genetic element, butis also influenced by those who (5) …….. us up. If we (6) …….. up to our parents or other family members, we may want to be like them. On the other hand, if our parents seem to (7) …….. us down all the time and we (8) …….. out with them a lot, then perhapswe will develop quite different personalities.
D Write a phrasal verb in the correct form to replace the words in italics. Add any other words you need.
1. The doctor said that the old woman had died ____________ peacefully in her sleep.
2. I always support ____________ my brother when he gets into trouble.
3. Tony seems to have really fallen in love with ____________ Vanessa.
4. Mark is such a bully and treats badly ____________ the younger boys at school.
5. I was surprised ____________ when Michaela said I'd hurt her feelings.
6. Richard finally met the woman of his dreams and got married and started to live quietly____________ in Australia.
7. I saw Mrs Khan in the centre of town and she asked for news about ____________ you.
Phrases and collocations
E Write one word in each gap.
1. Could you ____________ me a favour and ask Oliver to see me in my office?
2. I don't have many ambitions, but I'd like to graduate and then ____________ a family.
3. As we walked down the street, Helen ____________ pity on the beggar and gave him somemoney.
4. Nadia's hair looked awful, but I didn't ____________ the courage to tell her.
5. My dad can't stand ____________ an argument and always has to have the last word.
6. The new law seemed to ____________ with everyone's approval.
7. Can you ____________ care of your little sister for a minute while I go to the shop?
8. When you first ____________ in love, the whole world seems a beautiful place.
9. I don't really ____________ friends very easily because I'm quite shy.
10. I didn't recognise Ed when I saw him because he was ____________ disguise.
11. You're in a very good ____________ . Why are you so happy?
12. If you keep ____________ your promises, people won't trust you any more.
13. I ____________ a really strange dream last night about my best friend.
F Choose the correct answer.
1. The government is trying to convincepeople … the need for higher taxes.
A with С that
В of D for
2. I believe that judges should be independent … the government.
A to С with
В from D on
3. Local residents object … the newpower station in their area.
A to have С of having
В having D to having
4. Do you think they should ban people … smoking in public places?
A from С in
В that D of
5. The MP asked … the prime ministerwas aware of the growing social problem.
A that С if
В him D what
6. Most people seem to agree … the newspapers'criticism of the government.
A on С with
В to D that
7. I don't think people should rely … the state, even if they are unemployed.
A to С on
В with D by
8. The mayor was attacked … publicmoney.
A for wasting С he waste
В to waste D of wasting
G Find the extra word in each line.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2019-04-09; Просмотров: 503; Нарушение авторского права страницы