Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Answer the questions to the text
1. How old is the university?
2. What special organizations does it have to help applicants to enter the University?
3. What facts prove that it is one of the largest universities in Russia?
4. What distinguishes the Open University from a traditional one?
5. What special services does the SUSU scientific library provide for the users?
6. What are the novelties introduced into teaching process?
7. Can you name some of the well-known SUSU graduates?
8. What social activities can students take part in?
What facts do you know about the SUSU that were not mentioned in the text? Share them with the groupmates
Make the plan for the text
If you were asked to give the three most striking facts about the university what facts would you choose?
Find additional information about the following organizations and places of the university
1. School of Physics and Mathematics
2. Linguistic Center
3. “Applicant” center
4. Gifted Child Center
5. SUSU Scientific library
6. Open Institute
7. Mechanical and Technological Faculty
8. University Newspaper “Technopolis”
9. SUSU International Department
10. SUSU Teleradiocenter
Present the information you find to your groupmates using the following scheme:
1. Place (Where is it located in the university?)
2. Year of foundation (When was it founded?)
3. Purpose of creation (What for was it created?)
4. Activities (What services does it provide?)
5. Benefits (What benefits does it provide for those who participated (schoolchildren, students)?)
A delegation of students and teachers from Cambridge are on a visit to your university. You are asked to tell the guests about it. Present information on:
1. the name of your university;
2. the place it is situated;
3. the departments there are at your university (day-time, correspondence, distance, evening);
4. the time the complete course of study lasts;
5. the number of students who study at the university;
6. information resources
7. the equipment the university provided with;
8. the students life;
9. what you like and what you don’t like about your university.
Start your tour with the following phrase:
Dear guests, I would like to give you a tour about our university.
You may use the following algorithm:
1. Greeting Dear guests, I would like to give you a tour about our university.
Facts about the university
First I’d like to give you some general information about our university.
Our university is called …….
It is situated in ……
There are ……. day–time faculties at our university.
The teaching staff accounts to …..
The complete course of study lasts …..
After a successful completion of a course of study a student gets a Specialist degree.
There about ……. students studying at the university.
I am a student of the ………. faculty.
I study such subjects as ………..
Now I’d like to say a few words about the teaching aids used to improve the educational process.
There are a number of well-equipped laboratories in the university.
The modern teaching aids used are …….
As for the provision with information resources out university is among the leaders.
The SUSU scientific library is ….
It contains a great number of resources ….
Both students and the administration of the university understand that much work and no joy make students dull people.
That’s why there are quite a number of university organisations occupied with providing an active social life of students.
They are ………..
What I like about the university is ……
On the other hand, there are some things to improve.
Nevertheless our university is one of the best higher institutions in Russia.
Fill in the correct word from the list below: equipment, dreadful, personal, open, education, regional, linguistic, reading, complex, assistant
1. a _________ campus
2. a _________ center
3. postgraduate ________
4. an _________ professor
5. _____ access
6. sports _______
8. a ________ordeal
9. a _______ hall
10. study _______
Insert the right verb phrases into the sentences using the appropriate Tense form:to be founded in, to prolong, to be noted for, to account for, to a large extent, to exploit, to be keen on, to emerge.
1. Technologically minded teachers of the university ________ computer technologies into academic practice.
2. Students that _______ Maths, Physics, Programming can take part in competitions and take some additional training.
3. If you want ______ the book you need to come to the library.
4. Our university __________ its graduates who work in different spheres of industry and social life.
5. Moscow State University ______________ 1755 on the initiative of the great Russian scientist Mikhail Lomonosov.
6. As science is rapidly developed new technologies ________ every day.
7. _________ the popularity of the university among the applicants depends on the high standard of education provided.
8. The fact that university is considered to be one of the best higher educational institutions in Russia ________ high competition among the applicants.
Use the phrases from exercises 1 and 2 to make up 10 sentences of your own
Look at what Jenny and Mark hope will happen in the future. Make sentences using If I, …… I will…..
Example: If I don’t go out so much,I willdo more work.
If I do more work If I stop smoking
– pass my exams – have more money
– go to university – save some money every week
– study how to run a business – rich when I am thirty
– become a businesswomen – have my own business
– earn a large sum of money – make a lot of money
– travel all over the world – retire when I am forty
What will you do in the following situations? Complete the sentences
1. If I study hard I will ……
2. If I get a well-paid job I will ….
3. If I miss the classes I will ….
4. If I have a holiday abroad I will ….
5. If I graduate from the university I will ….
6. If I fall ill I will ….
7. If I see my friend has problems I will ….
8. If I have some free time I will ….
9. If I see the book I like I will ….
10. If the weather is fine tomorrow I will ….
11. It I finish my homework early this evening I will ….
One of you is going for a holiday to an exotic country. The other sees all the problems. Use the prompts to discuss the problems
Example: A – What will you do if the weather is bad?
B – I will read books and go to discos.
A – you don’t like the food?
– there is nowhere to go in the evening?
– you lose your money?
– you don’t understand the language?
– you don’t know anyone?
– you feel homesick?
–you lose your passport?
Make up 2 Chain stories. Look at the situations, and then continue these people thoughts
If I don’t finish this work in time, I will not get a promotion.
If I don’t write my essay I will not get a credit in the major.
If I enter Oxford University, I will be the most diligent student.
Make up a dialogue. One of you reads the task on Card 1 and the other reads the task on Card 2. Use the common phrases to ask for the information
You are an English student. You are to write an article about a typical Russian University. By chance you happened to visit the South Ural State University. You are to gather as much information as possible. You have heard about this university before and you know that there are such places as School of Physics and Mathematics,
Linguistic Center, “Applicant” center, Gifted Child Center, Open Institute, SUSU Teleradiocenter. Find out where these places are situated in the university and what types of activities do they perform.
You are an active member of the Students’ Union and you are accustomed to make tours about the university. So it’s natural that you know the most interesting places of the university. Your task is to be very helpful and provide the English student with all the necessary information about the university.
Asking for Information
There are a number of formulas used when asking for information in English. Here are some of the most common
Could you tell me...? Не могли бы вы мне сказать…?
Do you know...? Не знаете ли вы…?
Do you happen to know...? Может быть, вы знаете…?
I’d like to know... Я бы хотел узнать…?
Could you find out...? Не могли бы вы мне объяснить…?
I’m interested in a post office near here. Нет ли тут по близости почты.
I’m looking for.. Я ищу ….
Complete the facts about the South Ural State University using the following phrases:a linguistic center, e–subscriptions, postgraduate courses, information resources, Open Institute, to be founded in, to introduce, an assistant professor.
1. The South Ural State University ________ 1943 on the basis of two plants.
2. There is ___________ in our university where you can improve your knowledge of English and get additional qualification.
3. If you want to continue your education the university offers __________ in more than 70 specialties.
4. The purpose of the ___________founded on the basis of SUSU is to reach people in distant rural and mountainous areas.
5. ________ allow students to search information using electronic versions of journals.
6. The administration of the South Ural State University __________ new technologies into the educational process.
7. A person can apply for a position of __________ if he performs some research and has publications.
8. Our scientific library is rich in _________ .
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-16; Просмотров: 1016; Нарушение авторского права страницы