Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
Exercise 22, p. 167: Study the following chart.
Exercise 23, p. 167: Supply the missing auxiliary or modal verb.
1.The telegram — sent at five o'clock yesterday. 2. I am sure, a lot of questions — be asked when he finishes speaking. 3. The shops ___opened at 8 o'clock in the morning. 4. When — this road made? 5. It's very cold. You — be warmly dressed. 6. This report — be sent at once. 7. This work is easy. It — be done by a child, if you ask me. 8. The doctor — called early in the morning. 9. These questions won't — raised at tomorrow's meeting. 10. The book — be enjoyed by a person of any age. 11. All his documents — lost during the war. 12. This museum — closed in summer. 13. The traffic rules must — always followed.
Exercise 24, p. 167: Ask the questions indicated in the brackets.
1.Such books are sold in special shops. (In what shops?) 2. These magazines must be returned in an hour. (When?) 3. The picture was spoilt by fire. (How?) 4. This work can be done in two days. (In how many days?) 5. The money will be spent on food. (On what?) 6. Such questions are often raised by students. (By whom?) 7. Hot meals are served in this restaurant till 10 p.m. (Till what time?) 8. Umbrellas and coats must be left in the cloakroom (What?)
Exercise 25, p. 168: Answer the following questions according to the model.
Model: Aren't you going to send him a telegram? (tomorrow).
It will be sent tomorrow.
1. Aren't you going to paint your country house this year? (only last year). 2. Aren't you going to raise this question? (at the next meeting). 3. Aren't you going to call a doctor? (early in the morning). 4. Aren't you going to throw away the old newspapers? (at the end of the year). 5. Aren't you going to prepare his room for his arrival? (yesterday). 6. When are you going to decide this question? (after the examinations).
Exercise 26, p.168: Open the brackets, using the correct form in the Passive Voice.
1. This book (write) many years ago, but it still (read) with great interest. 2. By whom this film (make)? 3. This house (paint) two years ago, I don't know when it (paint) again. 4. What factory (show) to the visitors tomorrow? 5. Library books must not (keep) longer than a fortnight. 6. These facts (not mention) in his report. 7. When the advertisement (place) in the newspaper? 8. This museum (visit) by thousands of people every year. 9. I am afraid our holidays (spoil) by bad weather. 10. When the windows (wash) last? 11. Who the story (translate) by?
Exercise 27, p. 168: Translate the following sentences, using the Passive Voice.
1. Его можно было видеть в саду в любую погоду. 2. Яблоко разрезано на четыре части. 3. Потолки всегда красят в белый цвет. 4. За игрой следили с большим вниманием. 5. Дом был продан за большую сумму. 6. Правила уличного движения должны всегда соблюдаться. 7. Эти предметы изучаются на первом курсе. 8. Детей поведут в театр в воскресенье. 9. Такие туфли нельзя носить в плохую погоду. 10. Их встретят на станции. 11. Вечер будет организован после окончания семестра. 12. Чем она была так расстроена? 13. Он не сразу заметил, что окно было разбито.
Passive Voice with Verbs which Have Two Objects: Direct and Indirect
(a) give, send, tell, show, pay, promise, offer
Exercise 28, p. 168: Give sentences with both passive constructions according to the model, translate them into Russian.
Model: They gave him an apple.
(а) He was given an apple.
(в) An apple was given (to) him.
1.They showed us the way to the station. 2. He will give me the money for my holiday. 3. Did you send him a telegram? 4. They promised the boy a bicycle. 5. They can't tell her the truth. 6. They had told him the news before he left. 7. They gave us no explanation. 8. After graduation they offered him a good job.
Exercise 29, p. 169: Put questions to the parts in bold type.
1. He was given two days to think the matter over. 2. We were shown a new film. 3. The instructions were given to everybody. 4. The new method will be shown to the young specialist today. 5. He was told that she had finished school the year before.
Exercise 30, p. 169: Translate the following sentences (give two variants where possible).
1.Ответ вам пришлют по почте. 2. Ему дали несколько книг для доклада. 3. На вечере им показали очень интересный фильм. 4. Мне заплатили за перевод статьи 150 рублей. 5. Когда ей послали письмо? 6. Нам обещали новую квартиру. 7. Ему сказали, что она учится в институте иностранных языков. 8. Ему не сообщили новость.
(b) buy, sell, sing, read, write1
Exercise 31, p. 169: Use the Passive Voice in the following sentences:
1. They wrote him a letter. 2. They sold us the house very cheap. 3. She read the children a very interesting story. 4. They bought him a tape-recorder when he graduated from the Institute. 5. They sang me some of the old songs.
Exercise 32, p.169: Translate the following sentences.
1. Ей написали письмо на прошлой неделе. 2. Кому продали их дом и сад? 3. Нам прочитали его письмо вслух. 4. Мальчику купили новое пальто.
(с) Explain, describe, dictate, repeat, mention2
Exercise 33, p. 169: Use the Passive Voice in the following sentences.
1.They will dictate the telegram to her over the telephone. 2. They repeated the same thing to him several times. 3. Among other things he mentioned to me this most interesting fact. 4. Did they explain the difficulty to you? 5. They described to us the life in this out-of-the-way place.
Exercise 34, p. 169: Translate the following sentences.
1.Нам объяснили, в чем была проблема. 2. Ей повторили адрес несколько раз. 3. Мне так хорошо описали дорогу к его дому, что я сразу нашел его. 4. Им объяснили все значения этого слова. 5. Секретарю продиктовали письмо по телефону. 6. Мне лишь упомянули об этом инциденте. 7. Сообщение повторялось по радио с интервалами в 15 минут.
Passive Voice with Verbs which have two direct objects (ask, envy, teach)3
Exercise 35, p. 170: Use the Passive Voice in the following sentences:
1.The lecture was interesting, the students asked the professor a lot of questions. 2. They taught him several languages when he was a child. 3. They often ask him such questions. 4. They teach us two foreign languages at this Institute. 5. He taught them how to play the game. 6. He asked them to hand in their reports at once. 7. They envied him his talent.
Exercise 36, p. 170: Translate the following sentences.
1.Лектору задали очень много вопросов. 2. Его обучали английскому языку, когда он был ребенком. 3. Их попросили прийти вовремя. 4. Какие вопросы ему задали? 5. Ее спросили, как туда пройти. 6. Нас научили, как играть в эту игру. 7. Меня спросили, где я родилась. 8. Какие предметы преподают на первом курсе?
Passive Voice with Verbs which Have a Prepositional Object
Exercise 37, p. 170: Use the Passive Voice in the following sentences according to the model, translate them into Russian.
Model: They looked at the picture with admiration.
The picture was looked at with admiration.
1.They listened to his lectures with great interest. 2. He throws away all his old note-books at the end of the school year. 3. You must think the matter over. 4. They spoke to the Dean on the subject. 5. We must send for the doctor immediately. 6. People talk much about this film. 7. People always laughed at his jokes. 8. They argued about the incident for a long time. 9. We can't speak of such important matters lightly. 10. She likes when people talk about her.
Exercise 38, p. 170: Supply the missing prepositions.
1.They read all the books that are much talked —. 2. She always felt uncomfortable when she was looked —. 3. When will the old newspapers be thrown —? 4. He is spoken — with warmth. 5. The question was not to be argued —. 6. The tickets must be paid — immediately. 7. Each word he spoke was listened —. 8. The matter was argued __ for days. 9. What's that thing meant —?
Exercise 39, p. 171: Translate the following sentences.
1.Зимой свет зажигается очень рано. 2. Почта была просмотрена утром. 3. Если ей не будет лучше, надо послать за доктором. 4. О ней говорили с восхищением. 5. С ним надо поговорить об этом. 6. О вашем совете надо подумать, может быть, мы и примем его.
Ехercise 40, p.171: Choose a suitable phrase to accompany the Passive construction and translate the sentences into Russian.
by hand; with clouds; by a group of students; by Kramskoy; with a storm of applause; by electricity; by a stranger; by air mail; in ink; in pencil
1.The portrait was painted —. 2. The sky is covered —. 3. These things are made —. 4. The delegation was met —. 5. The door was opened —. 6. These machines are operated —. 7. Her letters were often written —. 8. He was greeted —. 9. The letter was sent —. 10. Documents must be written —.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-22; Просмотров: 934; Нарушение авторского права страницы