Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
III. Read and translate the text “Recruiting staff’ into Russian and find pros and cons of different recruitment methods.
Recruiting the right candidate to fill a vacancy can be difficult and costly task. Appointing the wrong person could be an expensive mistake which could cause personal problems for the whole department. And as very HR Manager (Higher Recruitment Manager) knows, it is much more difficult to get rid of someone than it is to employ them.
The HR Manager’s first decision is whether to recruit internal applicants or advertise the vacancy outside the company. Internal applicants are easy to recruit by memo, e-mail, or newsletter. Furthermore, they are easy to assess and know the company well. However, they really bring fresh ideas to a position. Moreover, a rejected internal candidate might become unhappy and leave the company.
Recruiting outside the company means either advertising the vacancy directly or using an employment agency. If the company decides to advertise the vacancy directly, it has to decide where to place the advertisement. Traditionally this has meant newspapers and professional journals but now the Internet is also very popular. The decision normally depends on the vacancy. Companies advertise blue-collar or clerical jobs in local newspapers and senior management positions in national papers or professional journals, while the Internet is one of the best ways of advertising. IT vacancies or recruiting abroad. However, with the Internet there is a risk of receiving unsuitable applications from all over the world.
An agency can be either a commercial business or a government employment center. A company often uses a government agency to recruit blue-collar workers but normally prefers a commercial agency for its white-collar staff. However, a commercial agency could be very expensive and the applicants are less likely to stay with the company for a long time.
Work in pairs. How many different ways can a company recruit applicants to fill a job vacancy. What are advantages and disadvantages of each recruitment methods?
V. How would you advertise the following vacancies?
Finance director, bilingual secretary, graphic designer, truck driver, marketing manager, computer programmer.
VI. Read and translate the dialogue and between HR Manager and Mr. Klimenko.
TST Systems was looking for candidates for the position of Commercial Director. Three applicants came for an interview after they had submitted their Resumes. The third and the most successful was Mr Klimenko. Here is the interview with him.
— Good morning, sir.
— Good morning. Come in. Mr Klimenko, isn’t it? Please take a seat. You will have to excuse me a moment while 1 finish signing these letters. Meanwhile please fill in the application form... . There, that’ll do. Now I can concentrate on you, Mr Klimenko. Tell me, how long were you in your last job with Alpha?
— Five years. I am only leaving because the firm is moving to Sevastopol, but I think a change will do me good.
— What do you know about our company? Have you got any questions for me?
— I know that this is a very promising company, so I’d like you to inform me what will be the major focus of efforts in the next few years?
— We plan to expand our activities with English-speaking countries, mainly England, to buy equipment and technologies from there and run training programs here. We need a team of creative people to make our company competitive in the world market.
— What will my responsibilities and obligations be during the first year?
— Well, first of all to be responsible for our contacts with English partners. You will need to skillfully negotiate for and buy equipment. The job will involve much travelling. There is likely to be a trade fair in London soon, which we hope you will be able to go to.
— Yes, I see.
— So tell me what are your three main strengths?
— 1 think they are: reliability, loyality, and energy.
— OK. Do you work well under pressure?
— Yes. I am accustomed to working under pressure.
— Are you a leader, an entrepreneur by nature?
— Yes, I think so.
— All right. Now, Mr Klimenko, I am quite prepared to offer you a job with us. You have excellent references from your previous job. You’ll start on $450 and if you do well we’ll review it after three months. The hours are from nine to five thirty, with an hour for lunch and a fortnight’s holiday. Does that suit you? Any questions?
— What about travel? Where will I go and for what length of time?
— Mostly to England for not longer than a month.
— All right. When do you want me to start, sir?
— In a week, if possible.
— I am afraid I can’t start working till the 10th October.
— No problem. We’ll be seeing you on the 10th then?
— Yes, certainly. Thank you very much. Goodbye.
VII. Translate from Russian into English.
1. Как долго Вы работали в фирме?
2. Заполните, пожалуйста, анкету.
3. Что Вы знаете о нашей фирме?
4. Ваша фирма имеет большие перспективы.
5. Мы планируем развернуть нашу деятельность в других странах.
6. Наша фирма конкурентоспособная на мировом рынке.
7. За что я буду отвечать, и какие у меня будут обязанности?
8. В первую очередь, Вы будете отвечать за наши контакты с английскими партнерами и вести с ними переговоры.
9. Вам нужно будет много путешествовать.
10. Вы хорошо переносите повседневные нагрузки?
11. Вы по натуре лидер, предприниматель?
12. У Вас отличные отзывы с предыдущей работы.
13. Когда Вы хотите, чтобы я начал работать?
14. Это не важно.
VIII. Act out a job interview.
Here is some advices on what kind of questions to expect in a job interview.
1. Tel me about yourself.
2. What are your strengths?
3. What are your weaknesses?
4. What do you do in your spare time?
5. Describe a difficult situation you were in not so long ago and what you did about it.
6. What do you think you can bring to this position?
7. Why did you leave your last job?
8. What were some of the most important things you learned in that job?
9. How well do you work in a team?
10. Tel us something about your previous experience and the other jobs you have had.
11. How have you changed over the last five years?
12. What sort of salary are you expecting?
13. What was your best subject at school/ university?
14. What did you like most about that subject?
15. Tell us about your ambitions.
16. What would you like to be doing five years from now?
17. What attracts you about this kind of job?
18. Why did you apply to us?
At the Office
I. Role-play the conversation between Mr. White and Secretary? Secretary and Mr. Bobrov.
Mr White. Let’s have a look at the diary. 'What are the engagements for today?
Secretary. Mr Petrov has an appointment for ten. I And then there’s a conference at three.
Mr White. Get the documents ready for the conference. I’m afraid these bills will keep me busy till twelve.
Secretary. Shall I arrange for Mr Petrov to come later?
Mr White. Yes, you’d better. Phone him straight a way and then attend to the documents.
Secretary. Very good.
Secretary. Could I speak to Mr Petrov, please?
Bobrov. He’s on another line at the moment. Would you hold on?
Secretary. I'm afraid I can’t. I’ll leave a message for him. Will you please ask him to call at Mr White’s 'office at twelve o’clock instead, of ten?
Bobrov. All right. I’ll let him know.
II. Read and learn the following words and word conversations.
1. Diary- записная книжка, дневник
Syn. an engagement book
2. Appointment – деловое свидание, условленная встреча, назначение
W. com. To make an appointment – назначить встречу,
договориться о встрече
to have an appointment- иметь встречу
to keep an appointment- прийти в назначенное время
to cancel an appointment- отменить встречу
3. Appoint- назначать
4. To arrange about – договориться о чем- либо
To arrange smth for smb.- устроить что -л. для кого -л.
5. Straight- прямо, сразу
Syn. right away
6. To attend to smth., smb.- уделять внимание чему-либо
III. Find English equivalents for the following sentences (See Text).
1. Какие дела у нас намечены на сегодня? 2. Подготовьте документы. 3. Я буду занят со счетами до двенадцати. 4. Договориться с мистером Петровым на более позднее время? 5. Позвоните ему сейчас же. 6. Займитесь документами. 7. Он разговаривает по другому телефону. 8. Я бы хотела передать ему следующее. 9. Я сообщу ему (об этом).
IV. Activate the following words and word combinations.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-22; Просмотров: 1083; Нарушение авторского права страницы