Архитектура Аудит Военная наука Иностранные языки Медицина Металлургия Метрология
Образование Политология Производство Психология Стандартизация Технологии
III. Find the predicate and define its tense form.
a). 1. The research into the properties of these metals is done at one of Moscow institutes. 2. Such crystals are grown in special laboratories. 3. In the first year we are taught many important subjects. We are also given to do laboratory work.
b). 1. The delegates were shown new types of machinery which are produced at the plant at present. 2. All the machines were looked at with great interest. 3. At this chemical plant the huge automatic unit was looked after by only a few men.
c). In the future machine-tools will be made faster, more complex, and automatic. 2. Is this true that this problem will be worked at in our laboratory? 3. His scientific paper will be spoken about at the end of the discussion.
d). Machine parts can be produced by today’s machine-tools with very high precision. 2. Tools that cut metals should be made of very hard steel and alloys. 3. All the data had to be analysed by the experimentor himself.
IV. Rewrite the sentences in the passive.
1. Her mother drives her to school every day.
2. The boys walk the dog every day.
3. Do they sell clothes in this shop?
4. Someone is cleaning the windows.
5. People spend a lot of money on food.
6. They will open the new sports centre soon.
7. They sent for the doctor.
8. They may not repair the car this week.
9. They made him confess to the robbery.
10. The jury will have reached a verdict by the morning.
V. Underline the correct answer.
A large amount of valuable jewellery (has stolen / has been stolen) from Forest Manor. A man (arrested / was arrested) yesterday and (is questioned / is being questioned) by the police at the moment. He (thought / is thought) to (have committed / have been committed) the crime, although so far no proof (has found / has been found). The robbery (believed / is believed) to (have carried out / have been carried out) by two men, but so far no clue (has discovered / has been discovered) as to the second man’s identity. The police say that he may (have left / have been left) the country.
VI. Rewrite the sentences using “have something done”.
1. His teeth are checked twice a year.
2. Her skirt is being cleaned at the moment.
3. Central heating is going to be installed in our house next month.
4. My car is being repaired at the moment.
5. The windows will be cleaned.
6. The clock has to be fixed.
VII. Complete each sentence with two to five words, including the word in bold.
1. It is known that the explosion caused major damage to the buildings.
2. The Lumiere brothers invented the first film-making equipment.
3. Bob doesn’t like people asking him questions about his job.
4. They hired a famous architect to design their house.
5. They will punish you if you go on causing trouble.
VIII. Correct the mistakes.
1. He is said he has been promoted.
2. Who was this cake made?
3. Have you your car serviced often?
4. The man was seen hit the police officer.
5. The house has decorated recently.
IX. There are eight unnecessary words in the text below. Cross them out.
1. Ten-year-old Martin Witts, who was been rescued
2. from a fire at his home last week, has to
3. been discharged from hospital today. He is said
4. by to be fully recovered from his injuries. The
5. fire it was started by accident when a
6. pan was knocked over. Smoke was seen to
7. coming from the house by Mr. Steven Free, who
8. did broke down the door and rescued Martin
9. and his parents, who they were not seriously
10. injured. Mr. Free was awarded a medal for
11. the bravery.
X. Translate the following sentences from Russian into English.
1. Эту статью написал один английский журналист.
2. Статья должна быть переведена к пяти часам.
3. Перевод будет закончен вовремя.
4. Этот мост еще строится. Он строился, когда я увидел его в первый раз.
5. Все эти книги были взяты из библиотеки.
6. В будущем году будет построено много новых школ.
7. Произведения английских и американских писателей издают во всем мире.
8. Этот кинотеатр был построен до того, как мы приехали сюда.
9. Лекции этого знаменитого профессора всегда слушают с большим вниманием.
10. Вас всех пригласят в зал и расскажут обо всех изменениях в программе конференции.
11. Эту статью должны прочитать все студенты нашей группы.
I. Rewrite the following passage in the Passive.
Do you think that people will ever use electric cars?
Someone has already invented the electric car, but at the moment they are too expensive for most people to buy. Also, you have to recharge their batteries frequently. However, if people drove electric cars instead of the cars we use today, the air we breathe would be cleaner, as they would not pump exhaust fumes into the atmosphere.
II. Rewrite the following sentences in the Active.
1. Her excuse may not be believed by her parents.
2. The bill must be paid immediately.
3. Our newspaper is delivered by a boy every morning.
4. The meeting was attended by several important critics.
5. Preparations are being made by the event organizers.
III. Choose the correct answer.
1. You _____ write and thank Aunt Louise for your present.
a. must b. need c. can
2. You _____ wear a coat. It’s very warm ouside.
a. must b. needn’t c. could
3. It’s late. Mark _____ have forgotten about the meeting.
a. might b. will c. ought
4. She _____ be on holiday. I saw her this morning.
a. can’t b. would c. must
5. A lot of children _____ to boarding school in the old days.
a. are sent b. is sent c. were sent
6. A lot of people _____ by this company last year.
a. hired b. are hired c. were hired
7. Sam _____ carry the box. It was too heavy.
a. couldn’t b. could c. can’t
8. “_____ we get up on time, we will catch the train.”
“I will set my alarm clock.”
a. Supposing b. Providing c. Unless
9. “I’m going to a party tonight.”
“If I wasn’t ill, I _____ with you.”
a. come b. will come c. would come
10. “David’s car isn’t here.”
“No, he _____ be at work. ”
a. should b. will c. must
IV. Complete each sentence with two to five words, including the word in bold.
1. It wasn’t necessary for her to buy me a present, but she did.
boughtShe ____________________ me a present.
2.You mustn’t interrupt the teacher when she is talking.
allowedYou ____________________ the teacher when she is talking.
3.“What a spectacular view!” said Virginia.
exclaimedVirginia _____________________ was spectacular.
4.“I’m sure he didn’t go to the cinema last night.”
haveHe ____________________ the cinema last night.
5. It’s possible that they will sell their house.
mayThey _____________________ their house.
6.They will give Lily a pay rise this month.
beLily ____________________ a pay rise this month.
7. Someone told us about the party.
were We ____________________ the party.
8. Janet needs someone to teach her how to drive.
beJanet needs _____________________ how to drive.
9. People say that a problem shared is a problem halved.
beA problem shared ____________________ a problem halved.
10.The boss will shout at you if you’re late again.
getYou ____________________ if you’re late again.
V. Fill in the gaps with “if” or “when” and a verb in the Present tense.
1. We might go for a walk tomorrow. _____, we will take the dog with us.
2. The guests will arrive soon. _____, we will greet them at the door.
3. The bus comes at eight o’clock. _____, we will all get on it.
4. She might invite us to the party. ______ us, we will go.
5. Mark may lend me some money. _____ some money, I will buy that jacket.
VI. In pairs , ask and answer questions about what you would do in each of the following situations. Use your own ideas.
Model:1. _____ you / see / someone committing a robbery?
A: What would you do if you saw someone committing a robbery?
B: If I saw someone committing a robbery, I would call the police.
2. _____ you / find / a lot of money.
3. _____ a fire / start / in your home.
4. _____ you / have / a headache.
5. _____ you / see / a stray dog outside your house.
6. _____ your boss / shout / at you.
VII. Correct the mistakes.
1. “Could you help me lift this box?” “Of course I could.”
2. Need I to book a table in advance?
3. Although she was exhausted, she could finish the race.
4. I must have my car repaired last month.
5. The bus can be late today because there is a lot of traffic.
VIII. Use the prompts to talk about the prisoner’s regrets.
Model:never meet / John and his gang.
Frank wishes he had never met John and his gang.
a). listen / wife’s advice
b). not leave / job
c). not join / gang
d). not rob / bank
e). not get / ten-year sentence
IX. Fill in the correct tense.
1. I wish he _____ (not / interrupt) me while I’m trying to make a point.
2. If only you _____ (not / react) so rudely to Mary’s comment at the meeting.
3. I wish Harriet _____ (join) us on the excursion this weekend.
4. If only he _____ (be) more tactful.
5. Luke wishes he _____ (not / forget) to turn off the water heater before he left.
6. I wish I _____ (buy) tickets for last night’s rock concert.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-03-17; Просмотров: 2157; Нарушение авторского права страницы